Where will email marketing be in five years?
A question was asked at LinkedIn that got me thinking about the future of email marketing. I of course offered my opinion and you can read it along with all of the other answers here. I would be curious to know what your thoughts are, but below is my answer to what I think email marketing will look like in 5 years.
“Lowell makes some excellent points and I would like to piggyback on what was said.
1. First and foremost, email is here to stay period.
2. Email that people will receive will be dictated by the receiver. I think the user will have greater control over what they see and what they receive.
3. The behavior will drive the email. In the coming years, no longer will we receive promotional barf blasts with content for the masses. Companies will need to invest in technology which will drive meaningful messages based on the actions of the users. Information will be key.
4. Reputation is everything. Companies will no longer rely on the rich history they have just to send email. Email practices and more importantly, the ability to drive relevant messages based on the actions of the potential recipients will win in the reputation game.
5. New metrics for email marketers will emerge. OR and CTR’s will be like dial-up…..still there but why?
6. Mobile messaging will be key. Companies that can solve the mystery mobile market with degrees of success will prevail.
7. Companies will have to adapt to the fact that email marketing is not free or even all that cheap in 5 years. Email marketing will not be a one off or a 2nd or 3rd job for folks at companies. Organizations will need to hire full time email marketers who know the business and can dedicate the time it takes to ensure that email produces a ROMI.
8. Finally…(a bold prediction) 5 years from today, the entire look of an email will completely different. If the relevancy, reputation factor and user definition of email engagement evolves, so too will the messages evolve. I predict customized flash video engagements and voice activated email engagements that are customized for the recipients.
Email marketing will evolve into email engagement for companies. It will be a collaborative effort across all interactive/digital marketing departments that will engage the user to participate in a 1 to 1 dialogue with the company at the other end.”